Sunday, February 22, 2009

To and Fro


Today's free quilt pattern is To and Fro. It is based on a similar block called Hither and Yon. It goes together well and would also look great on point. Last Christmas I got a new iron. No one but a quilter would be thrilled with a top of the line Rowenta, but I was ecstatic. My old Rowenta was over 15 years old. It still heated up, but it also spit deposits whenever water was put in it. I used it for over two years without water. Boy the difference is amazing and pressing yardage is so much better.

Having a new iron brings up the topic of pressing while making patchwork. When I write instructions I always include pressing instructions. When you pay close attention to pressing, the blocks lay flatter and it's easier to achieve the correct size. When I'm sewing a block, I almost never press with the iron. I finger press until the whole block is together. I then measure the block before I take the iron to it. After I've measured, I know whether I need to press gently (if the block is the right size or a little large) or agressively (if my block measures a little small). I also use this method when I make pieced borders. All the units of the pieced border are finger pressed during construction. I don't press with the iron until the pieced border is attached to the quilt top. Because pieced borders are long, it is easy to stretch them out while pressing. I get a much better fit when I finger press along the way.

Half time is almost over. It's time to cheer on the Spartans, who are trailing the Wisconsin Badgers. So... until next time.....Happy Quilting.

1 comment:

  1. I would have liked a longer power reserve, or an indicator to warn the rolex replica uk when the reserve is almost depleted. But provided the wearer is relatively active or keeps the watch on a winder, this shouldnt pose much of a problem. Goodness knows how many rolex replica that have not been legally quarantined. Richemont umbrella just like Vacheron, is a ballsy brand not with a lonely quasi replica watches sale and needlessly expensive watch like the Overseas, but with an extensive history of properly badass watches, produced over an extensive part of its history. Ive added replica watches of a selection of them throughout the article below. Slowly turning away from a lot of the uniquely cool watches that made it great at least in my hublot replica and is scaling back to only pushing yet newer though thats a strong replica watches sale versions of its bread makers.

    ReplyDelete