Monday, January 30, 2012

New Project

I'm starting a new project. It's a variation of  Wild Goose Chase from Hearth and Home and Ruby Short McKim's 101 Patchwork Patterns, 1931 and Tangled Cobwebs from Home Art in 1933. My version is a bit different from each and adds some extra stars in the sashing. I'm going to call it Hazel Ridge Path because it's a trade with Nick the Illustrator who lives on Hazel Ridge Farm. He used some of my quilts in his book F is for Friendship a Quilters Alphabet and even painted me for the book. He gave me the painting of me at my grandmother's treadle and I promised him a quilt.

This is the start of Hazel Ridge Path quilt. The block in the lower right was my first attempt,
but I thought the triangle units were too small compared to the triangle units in the sashing.
It took me a few tries, but I finally got the math right. The blocks should start going much faster now.

This is the painting I'm trading for the quilt.





Till next time......Happy Quilting

12 comments:

  1. What a nice painting of you at your machine! Wonderful! And definitely a good trade! I'm sure Nick will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilt your making. The stars in the middle of the sashing is just great.
    OH my what an amazing painting, I think this is a wonderful trade....
    lucky you!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick is a great painter and a great guy. He worked from a photograph he took of me in the summer of 2010. I was wearing shorts, a t-shirt and tennis shoes. He painted in the dress, corrective shoes and round glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes (often) it takes me a while to "see" something --- now I notice that the quilt you are sewing on the treadle is the background of your blog --- love that quilt (someday I want to make it) and I am sure Nick will appreciate the quilt you are making --- hmmm, more flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the additional stars in the borders!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the design!
    its going to be an amazing quilt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great painting, great quilt, great deal !!
    Phyllis O'

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great painting. The quilt blocks are looking nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be looking forward the finished quilt. The painting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What nice blocks! The finished quilt is going to be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous painting! I bet you are thrilled, as he will be when he gets the beautiful quilt you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful painting! and a beautiful quilt! I wish I had paid more attention in math classes, so I could also 'do the math' and make such complex blocks all fit together so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete