Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Colleen's String Star

I just finished this queen-size quilt for my daughter. The center was an old quilt top she bought at Goodwill for $2.98. I hand-washed, re-cut and re-sewed the string stars.
When half was done, I had them photographed side-by-side so you can see the difference. The block were about 14", but after cutting them down, they are now 12".



The border was re-sewn from a small four patch quilt top. I won it at a silent auction.




Also in the auction offering was about 4 yards of nile green solid. I used the nile green solid to finish the borders and binding. The auction was many years ago at the Quilters Hall of Fame annual induction weekend. I was bidding against Eleanor Burns (yes, the Eleanor Burns). When she saw how much I wanted it, she very graciously quit upping the bid.


Till next time.....Happy Stitching




13 comments:

  1. That is amazing! I would never have thought that those two quilt tops could come together so perfectly....your efforts were well worth it! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about buying quilts that I thought were pretty but needed a lot of help. After all it would mean taking it apart, recut and put back together. Then I thought better of it. I salute your sticktoitifness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt! I have a great string star quilt, but, it doesn't lay flat at all. Not sure I'm up to re-piecing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this --- not sure how I missed it :-). A lot of work, but so effective. I will be looking at resale quilts differently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt! AND a great rescue story to go along with it. The Nile green is perfect with all the older fabrics.

    ReplyDelete