Friday, May 18, 2012

Ships That Pass in the Night

 It's time for Amy's Creative Side to host her Blogger's Quilt Festival: Spring 2012. She asked that we post a quilt and tell it's story. This is a quilt I made way back in 1995 for my book Block by Block. I loved working with only two colors, deep navy and pure white. I used two block patterns, Sailboat, and a star pattern I designed and called Sailor's Star. The sashing is plain and the cornerstones are 4 patches, giving the quilt the overall diagonal design. It was machine pieced and machine quilted one block at a time. I hate machine quilting a large top, so I always break my tops up, quilt them and then put them together. My goal is that you can't tell from the front, that that was my method. Two summers ago this quilt was loaned to Gijsbert van Frankenhuyzen to use as a prop for his illustration in the children's book, F is For Friendship. I was thrilled when I saw what my quilt inspired!


Remember to visit Amy's Creative Side to see the other blogs and quilts in the festival. Till next time....Happy Quilting!

13 comments:

  1. What an original, timeless quilt. Dark blue and white- so striking. How great about the book, too! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute quilt! Having it immortalized in a children's book is pretty darn cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful

    margaret gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt! I love ship blocks! The illustration of it is so special! What an honour for you. Thank you for sharing your lovely quilt and story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a pretty quilt, I'm a sucker for blue & stars! It's wonderful it was inspiring and featured in a story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt Love the colors and the blocks and to be published in a childrens book!!!!!
    Ann
    http://straythreads-straythreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely! One cannot tell at all that it was quilted in blocks. And how thrilling to have it featured in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beauty! And what a thrill to have it featured in a publication and called a "quilt of dreams!" WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is SO cool! What a fun use of your quilt! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful quilt and how great to have it used in that fantastic book!! thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a cute quilt! I like that you only used a couple colors.
    Karenm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt, I love the colors. I like the ship and star combo - perfect match on this project. :)

    -------------
    colorado springs divorce lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice quilt- I own this book - I will have to go looking more carefully at the illustrations in it. It is a wonderful book that has some terrific quilts in it. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards from Western Canada,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete