Saturday, October 25, 2008

Coffee Break




Today's free quilt pattern is Coffee Break. This is an ori
ginal block and I really like the way it turned out. I'm a coffee girl. Every morning I have one cup of instant with caffeine. I love Nescafe because that's the brand my father always drank. My husband think's I'm crazy, but the stuff he makes is too weak.








This morning I began machine quilting my second President's Quilt. I've been struggling with the quilting pattern. I really wanted a feather pattern, but couldn't find a feather template that would fit, so I altered a feather from a Sue Nickels and Pat Holly book. I tried many different tools to carve my drafted feather into template plastic but none of them worked. I finally ordered some quilting paper. I traced my feather onto the paper, then hand basted the paper to my quilt. I know that sounds like a lot of work, but I don't mind extra work if the result is good. The first picture shows the quilt after I quilted, but before I tore off the paper.






The second picture is harder to see. It's after I quilted and after I tore off the paper. So far I'm pleased with the result. In fact I think it looks so good, I 'm ready to use contrasting thread. I don't want to count the number of times I have to do this because that will be too discouraging. I didn't have too much trouble tearing away the paper. I think I will just trace, quilt, and tear paper, one feather at a time, otherwise any one part will be overwhelming.


The Michigan State/Michigan game just started so it's time to go (Green!). Till next time....Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment